Shelf is an algorithmic art project that shows how derivative is intellectual work. It highlights a dynamic relationship – other than, say, a List of Publications – by juxtaposing the work I have done since kiddingthecity started (2007) with a clever wordpress plugin, Zotpress. This uses an Application Programming Interface (API) to connect kiddingthecity to an evolving Zotero database: little need to type anything here 😎
Zotero is a Free and Open Source, cross-platform, reference manager that integrates with your browser and word processor – it offers now a ‘My Publications’ folder which is automatically published to your Zotero profile page, see mine here →→→ see my entire Zotero library.
Shelf is an academic dashboard, informing on readings and ‘publishing performance’ and a form of self-surveillance and disclosure. Through Shelf, however, kiddingthecity has been providing Open Access since 2007 under Creative Commons →→→ see my projects on Open Science Framework →→→ check my metadata on ORCID: they have done the scraping for you: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8299-4915
Credits for the random headers above
- Screenshot from ‘Ghost in the Shell’ (1995), anime directed by Mamoru Oshii;
- Author’s own photograph during Occupy London, St. Paul’s (2011);
- Screensaver borrowed from Sarai‘s old website.
- (2021) Citizens in the ‘Smart City’: Participation, Co-production, Governance. Routledge ISBN: 9780429438806
- (2021, in press) The Internet of People strikes back: Two future scenarios and a proposition. New Geography. Pre-print available @ Open Science Framework.
- (2020) Cardullo, P., & Roio, D., Mesh Networking, Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology, 2nd edition https://doi.org/10.1002/9781405165518.wbeos1547. Pre-print available @ Open Science Framework.
- (2019) Cardullo, P. & Kitchin, R. Being a ‘citizen’ in the smart city: Up and down the scaffold of smart citizen participation in Dublin, Ireland. GeoJournal, 84 (1), pp. 1–13, DOI: 10.1007/s10708-018-9845-8. Read-only available.
- (2019) Commoning the smart city: A case for a public Internet provision. SocArXiv pre-print @ Open Science Framework.
- (2019) Cardullo, P., & Kitchin, R., Smart urbanism and smart citizenship: The neoliberal logic of ‘citizen-focused’ smart cities in Europe. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space. 37 (5), pp. 813-830 DOI: 10.1177/0263774X18806508 ; SocArXiv pre-print @ Open Science Framework.
- (2018) Kitchin, R., Cardullo, P., & Di Feliciantonio, C., Citizenship, Justice and the Right to the Smart City. The Programmable City Working Paper 41, 17 October 2018, SocArXiv pre-print @ Open Science Framework.
- (2018) Cardullo, P., Kitchin, R., & Di Feliciantonio, C. Living labs and vacancy in the neoliberal city. Cities, Volume 73, Pages 44-50. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2017.10.008.
- (2018) CCTV Oddity: Playing Up Video Surveillance, in Visual Security Studies: Sights and Spectacles of Insecurity and War, Routledge. DOI:9781138229921.
- (2017) Cardullo, P. & Kitchin, R., Living Labs, Vacancy, and Gentrification. The Programmable City Working Paper 27. SocArXiv pre-print @ Open Science Framework.
- (2017) Gentrification in the mesh? An ethnography of Open Wireless Network (OWN) in Deptford, City, Routledge; DOI: 10.1080/13604813.2017.1325236 →→→ SocArXiv pre-print @ Open Science Framework.
- (2017) Urban change and the mesh: An ethnography of Deptford’s Open Wireless Network in: Aiello, G., Tarartino M., & Oakleys, K., Communicating the City, Peter Lang. DOI: 10.3726/978-1-4539-1902-6 →→→ Final draft
- (2017) CCTV oddity: Archaeology and aesthetics of video surveillance, Visual Studies, Routledge. DOI: 10.1080/1472586X.2017.1328988 →→→ SocArXiv pre-print @ Open Science Framework.
- (2015) Tweaking the wireless space: Place Hacking by far away? BSA Symposium University of Liverpool
- (2015) ‘Hacking Multitude’ and Big Data: Some insights from the Turkish ‘Digital Coup’, Big Data & Society, SAGE; DOI: 10.1177/2053951715580599
- (2015) Earthquake in the city: The people yet to come, co-authored with Prof. M. Russo, University of Modena, DEMB Working Paper Series N. 63. Available here.
- (2014) Sniffing the city: Issues of sousveillance in innercity London, Visual Studies 29.3, Routledge; DOI: 10.1080/1472586X.2014.
- (2012-14, working paper) CCTV oddity: Playing up video surveillance, in: CAST University of Copenhagen and Politics Department University of Turku, Visual Aspect of Security workshops.
- (2019) Kitchin, R., Cardullo, P., Di Feliciantonio, C., (eds.) The Right to the Smart City, Emerald Publishing
- (2014) Cardullo, P., Gupta, R., Hakim, J. (eds.) London: City of Paradox, N. 3 CMRB online series
- (2014) Cardullo, P., Gupta, R., Hakim, J. (eds.) Sociology, Politics, Thinking and Acting: A Festschrift for Nira Yuval-Davis, N. 2 CMRB online series
(2020) Inside smart cities: place, politics and urban innovation, A. Karvonen, F. Cugurullo and F. Caprotti (Eds). Routledge, 2018, City, 24(3–4), pp. 674–676. doi: 10.1080/13604813.2020.1781416.
- (2017) R. Denison, Anime: A Critical Introduction, Bloomsbury Academic 2015, Visual Studies, 32.1, Routledge. 10.1080/1472586X.2016.1271053
- (2016) I. Hague, Comics and the Senses, Routledge 2013, Visual Studies, 31.1 Routledge. 10.1080/1472586X.2014.941589
- (2014) N. Underberg, Digital Ethnography, OTP 2013, Visual Studies, 29.1, Routledge. 10.1080/1472586X.2014.863021
- (2013) C. Quirke, Eyes on Labor, OUP 2012, Visual Studies, 28.3, Routledge. 10.1080/1472586X.2013.830009
- (2011) Walking on the Rim: Photos, Encounters, Objects, 80 pp., Blurb
- (2010) Doing Work, 80 pp., Blurb
- (2009) Walking on the Rim: A Tale of Abjection, 80 pp., Blurb
→→→ Photobooks Shelf for more info and browsing
- ‘Un Luogo: Docklands’, Una Citta’, 144 / 2007
Citizens in the “Smart City”: Participation, Co-production and Governance, IN3 UOC 10/2020
- The Internet of People (IoP) strikes back, Minim 06/2020
- Interview for Expansion, 04/2020
- Interview for OUC News, 04/2020
- Satire Allowed, article for New Left Project, 2015
- One year collaboration to Sociology Lens, Wiley – Blackwell Publishing, 2009
- (2013) #OCTV in collaboration with James Stevens @ spc, at the International Visual Sociology Association annual conference, Goldsmiths University of London. Dataset available from SocArXiv.
- (2009) Trail of Images — using hacked CCTV footages, Deptford TV collective
- (2008) Lewisham77 — commemoration of the Battle of Lewisham, Deptford TV collective
Photo Competitions (shortlisted)
- Migration, COMPAS Oxford 2011 & 2012
- Dignity, Human Rights Centre at Essex University, 2011
- What is Crime? at 198 Gallery London, 2009
- Cycle photo-diary, Greenwich Council, 2007
see my list of publications as a Zotpress collection